Saturday, April 30, 2016

A number of chickens gather around a bucket in a pasture near Karen Wellingtons' home in Goshen on July 2, 2010. The Goshen Ctiy Council voted Tuesday, March 18, 2014, to turn down an ordinance to allow residents to keep chickens on properties in city limits. (Jennifer Shephard/The Elkhart Truth)
No chickens in Goshen, but what about outside of city limits?

Posted on March 20, 2014 at 9:17 a.m.

Following a story I wrote about the Goshen City Council’s decision not to allow residents to keep chickens within city limits, I received an email from a reader asking how the rule applies outside the city. He’s probably not the only person out there wondering that, so here’s the answer:

I spoke with Elkhart County Plan Director Chris Godlewski, and he told me that agricultural animals, including chickens, are allowed on agriculturally zoned properties that cover three or more acres. The owners of agriculturally zoned properties with less than three acres can apply for a variance through the Elkhart County Board of Zoning Appeals. Other zoning districts, including residential, are not allowed to have agricultural animals without a variance. Remember, these rules only apply to unincorporated areas of the county.

Want more information? See the excerpt below from the county’s zoning ordinance.

Follow Elkhart Truth reporter Angelle Barbazon on Twitter at @tweetangelle.