Angelle Barbazon
Angelle Barbazon
On the Record is written by Elkhart Truth reporter Angelle Barbazon. She covers Goshen, health issues, entertainment and features.

Angelle Barbazon on Instagram
Follow @angelle123 for more photos.

No chickens in Goshen, but what about outside of city limits?

A reader asked about the rules regarding chickens in Elkhart County. Here’s the answer.

Posted on March 20, 2014 at 9:17 a.m.

Following a story I wrote about the Goshen City Council’s decision not to allow residents to keep chickens within city limits, I received an email from a reader asking how the rule applies outside the city. He’s probably not the only person out there wondering that, so here’s the answer:

I spoke with Elkhart County Plan Director Chris Godlewski, and he told me that agricultural animals, including chickens, are allowed on agriculturally zoned properties that cover three or more acres. The owners of agriculturally zoned properties with less than three acres can apply for a variance through the Elkhart County Board of Zoning Appeals. Other zoning districts, including residential, are not allowed to have agricultural animals without a variance. Remember, these rules only apply to unincorporated areas of the county.

Want more information? See the excerpt below from the county’s zoning ordinance.

Follow Elkhart Truth reporter Angelle Barbazon on Twitter at @tweetangelle.

Recommended for You

Back to top ^