GOSHEN — The sand returns to downtown Goshen for the second year in a row during Goshen’s First Fridays’ August event.
The theme of the two-day event, which starts Friday, Aug. 1, is “Sandblast!” and will feature a beach volleyball tournament.
BEACH VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT
The tournament starts Friday evening and ends Saturday afternoon. Two beach volleyball courts will be built on Lincoln Avenue, between Main and Third streets.
Teams of four and six interested in participating can sign up online. Check-in on Friday will be between 4 and 5 p.m. at the courthouse lawn.
After the tournament ends at approximately 3:30 p.m., awards will be handed to the top three winning teams. Streets blocked off for the event are expected to reopen by 5 p.m. Saturday.
Last year was the first time Downtown Goshen Inc. hosted a beach volleyball tournament and following the event, organizers said they would look into making it an annual activity.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINMENT
- LifePoint Church, located at 1006 S 16th St. will grill burgers and brats Friday evening to raise funds for their students’ trips.
- Ignition Music Garage will open its beer garden Friday night behind the record store and concert venue. Ignition will serve craft beer and wines sold by the glass.
- The Wiener Shack will be out selling hot dogs on Saturday.
- Food vendors like Ben’s Soft Pretzels, El Duranguenze and Golden Star Kettle Corn will be out both Friday evening and Saturday afternoon.
- Sorg Jewelers will present the second annual Diamond Dash Saturday from 1 to 3 p.m. The contest is a series of clues provided via text message leading participants to a number of stops throughout downtown Goshen. The fastest team to find all stops and complete all challenges wins a prize valued at nearly $10,000, including a diamond engagement ring. Anyone interested in participating must register online.
- Indiana Humanities will have a tent at the event Friday, presenting it’s new campaign. ALL-IN is a digital competition created by Indiana Humanities to inspire Indiana residents to learn more about their state.
- Local Goshen band Mister Three Hearts will be playing at 7 p.m. Friday at the courthouse lawn. DJ Flip will provide the music Saturday morning, at 9 a.m. at the courthouse lawn.
- The Lake Area Community Band, a concert band based in Syracuse, will play at 7 p.m. Friday Goshen City Church, 203 N. Fifth Street.
- Better World Books’ August First Friday Signings includes Rachel Gerber, author of “Ordinary Miracles,” and Laurie Gray, author of “The Guide to Socratic Parenting.” The signings will take place between 6 and 8 p.m. Friday at the book store.
- The Goshen Historical Society Museum will have a two-day garage sale between 3 and 8 p.m. on Friday and between 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday at Ideal Lawn Mower Shop, at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Ninth Street. All proceeds from the sale will benefit the museum’s ongoing programs.
Follow reporter Sharon Hernandez on Twitter at @Sharon_HT