Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Elkhart County Council has approved an interlocal agreement between Elkhart County and the cities of Goshen and Elkhart to use $550,000 in federal funding for traffic signal improvements. (Rupert Ganzer/Flickr)
Elkhart county council approves $550k agreement for traffic signal updates

Posted on March 19, 2014 at 8:40 p.m.

GOSHEN -– Traveling in Elkhart County may soon be a little easier.

The Elkhart County Council approved an interlocal agreement Tuesday to use $550,000 of federal aid money to update traffic signals in the county and in the cities of Elkhart and Goshen.

Possible updates include adding back plates to traffic signals to block out sunlight, increasing the number of traffic lights to one per travel lane, adjusting the timing on yellow interval traffic signals and increasing pedestrian push buttons and countdown heads.

Earlier this year, the Michiana Area Council of Governments (MACOG) notified the county that federal money was available for a Highway Safety Improvement Project (HSIP) in the current fiscal year.

The HSIP funds will pay for 90 percent of the cost of signals, equipment, construction and inspection. The county is responsible for paying the remaining 10 percent along with all preliminary engineering costs.

The county will be responsible for coordinating the project with MACOG and the Indiana Department of Transportation. Goshen and Elkhart are expected to be involved.