ELKHART — The third annual Labor Day Parade planned for Elkhart has been canceled because of a lack of entries.
The decision to cancel it came last week after officials learned that only nine entries had been secured, said Karin Frey, superintendent of Elkhart Parks and Recreation Department.
The 2013 parade had 27 entrees in the parade and more than that the previous year, Frey said.
Frey declined to speculate what happened and noted they had reached out to all of the participants from last year’s event.
In past years, the parks department would oversee the parade while North Central Indiana AFL-CIO would make arrangements for a picnic afterward that included free food.
Tony Flora, president of the North Central Indiana union, said it became apparent that it had to be canceled after no high school marching bands had registered.
“You can’t have a parade if you don’t have any marching bands,” Flora said Thursday.
Flora said they will attempt to revive the parade next year.