County road and bridge project slated for spring, summer 2014
ELKHART — The Elkhart County Highway Department will oversee four major road projects, three bridge projects and a small structure removal in the coming months.
The department is responsible for all roads, bridges and structures within the county that aren't state highways or aren't within the corporate limits of a city or town, according to its website. It also oversees all bridges within the corporate limits of the cities within the county limits.
Project information is provided by the highway department.
- The intersection at C.R. 3 and C.R. 32 (and a portion of C.R. 3 north and south of C.R. 32) will be reconstructed to improve sight distance, clear zone, drainage and the profile of the road. The project is scheduled to begin in September and wrap up by the year’s end. The estimated construction cost is $800,000, with 80 percent provided by INDOT
- The intersection of C.R. 15 and C.R. 36 will be reconstructed to improve sight distance and to make C.R. 36 stop for C.R. 15. The project is scheduled to finish this summer.
- C.R. 17 from C.R. 38 to C.R. 40 will be paved. Work begins in the spring and is scheduled to wrap up by the end of August. The construction cost is $1.5 million, which is funded by the county. The construction work was awarded to Phend & Brown Inc. from Milford.
- C.R. 17 from C.R. 40 to C.R. 142 will be paved.
- The “S” curve on C.R. 40 east of C.R. 19 will be straightened out to improve safety. Work is scheduled to start in late summer and finish by the end of the year. Estimated construction cost is $400,000, which is funded by the county.
- Bridge 127 on C.R. 4. over Christiana Creek will be fully replaced. The new bridge will have two 12-foot-wide lanes, 8-foot shoulders on both sides and 6-foot sidewalks. Construction is planned to start in May and finish in November. The construction cost is $660,000, with 80 percent funded by INDOT. The project was awarded to Northern Indiana Construction from Mishawaka.
- Bridge 297 on C.R. 46 over Dausman Ditch will receive a new deck and bridge beams. Construction is scheduled to begin in June and end in August. The estimated cost is $250,000, which is funded by the county.
- Bridge 189 on C.R. 40 over Stony Creek will receive a new deck and bridge beams. This project is scheduled to be bid in September and may begin in November, with an estimated completion date of June 2015. The estimated cost of construction is $572,000, with 80 percent funded by INDOT.
- A small structure on C.R. 146 over Whetten Ditch will be removed and replaced with a large-diameter culvert. This project is scheduled to finish in August. The estimated construction cost is $50,000, which is funded by the county.