The Bristol Town Hall is 100 years old, and to celebrate, the public is invited to enjoy cake and ice cream at the town hall from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16.
According to research done by Jill Swartz, deputy town clerk, Bristol’s town hall was a one-story wooden building on the corner of Apollo and Vistula streets where the present town hall now sits.
On Oct. 17, 1913, the town board opened bids for the construction of a new town hall. George B. Moyer of Wakarusa was awarded the contract, being the low bidder at a cost of $2,994. The architectural work was done by Elwood and Elwood of Elkhart.
One of the men who helped in the construction was injured while working to install the building’s furnace, according to an Aug. 5, 1914, article in The Elkhart Truth. The boiler was on scaffolding and when Miller walked onto it, the scaffolding broke and the furnace fell on him in the pit, crushing and lacerating his right arm and bruising him.
The town hall was built the same year that electrical power came to Bristol. The building was finished Aug. 14, 1914. Over the years, it has been enlarged with an addition to the rear of the building and the conversion of the coal bin in the basement into finished office space. The building has been home to a school and a library. The office of the justice of the peace was within the town hall. Today the town hall houses the Bristol Police Department and the town offices.
The town offices have gotten a face lift with new paint and carpeting in honor of the Town Hall’s 100th anniversary. The public is invited to see them during the anniversary party.