Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Recommended For You

Robin Williams wasn't haunted by 'demons'

As a mental health professional, I was deeply offended by your characterization of a mental health issue as "demons.“

Posted on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

I was deeply sadened by the tragic suicide death of Robin Williams, a man who gave us many moments of joy and laughter. His death proved what some of us already knew — money and fame can not buy happiness.

Depression is real and is a serious health issue that is based on a chemical imbalance in the brain. Imagine my shock when I received the Aug. 13 Elkhart Truth and in the upper left corner saw the tired old cliche, "Williams haunted by personal demons his whole life."

As a mental health professional, I was deeply offended by your characterization of a mental health issue as "demons.“ Do the editors of The Elkhart Truth believe that Mr. Williams was haunted by actual demons? If so, perhaps your editorial board should all check themselves into the local mental health facility for an examination. We have excellent medication to help you manage your hallucinations.

If you do not believe Robin Williams had demons living inside him, why print it? Why repeat the most unenlightened Middle Age drivel and try to pass it off as clever journalism?

Why do we have such difficulty stating that a man we all loved struggled with mental health issues his whole life? Why use the tragic death of a brilliant comedian to continue the stigma towards people who are suffering from a legitimate and treatable psychiatric disorder?

Shame on the editors of the Elkhart Truth for printing this unimaginitive load of garbage!

RONALD CHUPP

Goshen

Posted on Sept. 29, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 26, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.
Back to top ^