Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Area 6 resident says annexation is an attack on her freedom

This is an assault on our freedom as citizens of a supposedly free country.

Posted on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:40 p.m.

I’m writing this not only for Area 6 and myself, but also for 90 percent of the citizens of Elkhart County who are being annexed into the city of Elkhart.

Of the hundreds of people I’ve talked to in the annexation areas, all of them feel like our rights as American citizens have been taken away from us. This is an assault on our freedom to choose where we want to reside.

I’m a senior citizen who lives in Area 6. I chose to live in the county in 1979. I’ve raised my children here and I love the quiet countryside and friendly neighborhood.

Now the mayor and some councilmen have decided to annex us into the city. We will now pay half again as much in taxes for fire, police, road maintenance and trash service. There are many older and sick people like me in my area who are on fixed incomes. We are very afraid that once we are annexed into the city they will force us to hook up to the city sewer and water. This would cost each parcel $8,000 to $10,000. That does not include the lines going into our yards or in our homes.

These are services we do not need or want. It’s going to force many of us to lose our homes and choose between groceries, gas, electricity, medication and everything else.

Anyone want to try and live on less than $10,000 a year? That’s for two people.

As I said before, our rights have been taken away from us. This is an assault on our freedom as citizens of a supposedly free country. If anyone in our Area 6 has not signed our petition to stop this annexation, please call me at 574 262-2779. We only need a few more signatures. Time is running out.

DARLENE UNDERWOOD

Elkhart

Posted on Sept. 16, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 16, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 15, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.
Back to top ^