Friday, October 24, 2014

Local government doesn't need to raise income tax

I believe that our local government entities can, through prudent management practices, continue to provide all essential services within their current income

Posted on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.

While our economy is recovering very slowly, the recession is not over. I recently read in The Truth that there are over 9,000 less jobs in Elkhart County. Today I read that in the last decade, per capita income for Hoosier families has fallen 13.6 percent. The cost of living is going up much more than the published CPI as the government does not include the cost of food in their calculations. The 6 percent unemployment figure is also inaccurate as it does not include those who have given up on looking for work. On top of this, two of our school systems have managed to get referendums passed raising property taxes above the constitutional limit.

Granted, government income is down. But I believe that our local government entities can, through prudent management practices, continue to provide all essential services within their current income. Raising our income tax is not only unnecessary, it also shows a complete lack of consideration and regard by our leaders for the families in our community that have been affected by this downturn. The people and businesses in our community have learned how to get the job done with less and it's about time for our government leaders to do the same or find meaningful employment elsewhere.

WILLIAM ROHMAN

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Back to top ^