Sunday, September 21, 2014

Four young Good Samaritans helped cyclist after accident

I’m ashamed that all I remember is that one of them is named Zach. So thanks, Zach and all. You’re very kind, I’m grateful, and I won’t forget it.

Posted on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:54 p.m.

I appreciate the encounters with Good Samaritans sometimes reported in letters to the editor, and now I need to do the same.

I was riding my bicycle along US 20 the other night, nearing Middlebury from the west, when my front tire went flat. I lost control and went down hard at a little over 20 mph, leading with my head (I’m a living testimony to the value of bike helmets today!) and then bouncing into the gravel on my right side. I guess I was unconscious for a little bit, because the next thing I remember is four young people are around me, helping my bloody, dirty and slightly confused self figure out if anything was broken (no) or if I was concussed (no); I’m especially grateful to the young woman who found the needle-in-a-haystack hearing aid that had been knocked out of my ear and would have cost $2,000 to replace! Two of the young men then offered to take me and my bike in their beautiful pickup to where my car was parked a few miles away at Pumpkinvine Cyclery.

I’m ashamed that all I remember is that one of them is named Zach. So thanks, Zach and all. You’re very kind, I’m grateful, and I won’t forget it.

I like living in Elkhart County.

JOE LIECHTY

Goshen

Posted on Sept. 20, 2014 at 1:42 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 16, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 16, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.
Back to top ^