Monday, September 22, 2014

Critic of "godless liberals" relies on magical thinking

Schmucker accuses liberals of using subjective desire as the basis for all law, but let's face it — our objective legal system is what has kept us from falling into anarchy, or, worse, a Christian theocracy.

Posted on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:18 p.m.

In Roger Schmucker’s letter of Aug. 8 (“Godless liberals are forcing Christians out of the public square”), he presumes to interpret, in simplified black and white, the two divergent worldviews for those of us who can't possibly “see the light” without his input.

The magical thinking Schmucker uses to navigate life is contrasted with the "liberal" worldview held by those who prefer to think for themselves. How can Schmucker claim, in the first paragraph of his letter, that something based on blind faith can be called objective? His blind faith is the classic definition of all that is subjective! There are so many practitioners of different faiths, with a variety of subjective interpretations of reality based on their own divine books and beliefs, that it is impossible to reconcile them.

What makes him think that his Christian God is any more valid a deity than Allah, Jehovah, the various gods of the Hindu faith or Ahura Mazda of the ancient Zoroastrian faith? I'll tell you — it's his blind faith in what he have been taught and nothing else.

Schmucker accuses liberals of using subjective desire as the basis for all law, but let's face it — our objective legal system is what has kept us from falling into anarchy, or, worse, a Christian theocracy. If that is a "liberal" approach, I say great.

I would certainly rather see our laws used, as defined by our founding fathers, than see the laws as imposed by the local religious theocracy in Syria who stoned two women to death because they were simply accused of wrongdoing.

Someone wisely said that of all the rights guaranteed by our Constitution, the one universally enjoyed by everyone is the right to be left alone. The exercise of this entitlement requires not just freedom of religion, but freedom from religion.

KEN CLAYBORN

Elkhart

Back to top ^