Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Conservatives don't have a monopoly on Christianity

Some conservatives today seem to be using religion in the same way as politicians whom wrap themselves in the flag during elections.

Posted on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:55 p.m.

In a recent letter in the People’s Forum, Roger Schmucker gives the impression that liberals are akin to the Antichrist (“Godless liberals are forcing Christians out of the public square, Aug. 7). He leaves the impression that true Christians are conservative. I wholeheartedly disagree. Conservative do not have a monopoly on being Christian.

Some conservatives today seem to be using religion in the same way as politicians whom wrap themselves in the flag during elections. History is not kind to those who use religion to advance their ideals. Early popes claimed the world was flat, and to say otherwise was heresy. Thankfully, Columbus traveled to America to prove them wrong. My family came here to avoid religious persecution. In more modern times, individuals are using religion to try to question global warming or evolution. I hold the viewpoint that the Bible only tells us what God did and science tells us how he did it. The narrow interpretation of the Bible only seems to place a limit on the power of God.

As for the claim that liberals are forcing Christians out of the public square, I disagree. My wife and I attend a Nazarene church that is alive and vibrant. We have good music, a great pastor, outreach soccer for the kids, baby connection for young families, joy dinners for the over 55 crowd and worship services for all.

My cousin is a conservative, but we respect the other’s viewpoints.

Do not confuse disagreement with rejection. Our country is a melting pot of cultures and ideas. This has enriched us and made this the greatest country the world has ever seen. And yes, it was based on Christian principles.

As Americans, we can disagree but we are still family.

ORVAN MABIE

Elkhart

Back to top ^