Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Therapy, Jesus, spouse, family and friends are the keys to overcoming depression

The struggle to extricate yourself, to free yourself from the metaphorical manacles, the cold, steely handcuffs that represent depression, that struggle is epic.

Posted on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:14 p.m.

It is estimated that some 10 percent of the population suffers from depression to one degree or another. Unless you've experienced that descent into the black abyss which depression is, you have no idea what it’s like. The struggle to extricate yourself, to free yourself from the metaphorical manacles, the cold, steely handcuffs that represent depression, that struggle is epic.

It is imperative that you have the full support of your spouse, family and friends, or else your effort is extended by years. A loving spouse who takes the words of your marriage vows to heart, who has the integrity and moral spine to remain faithful to marital promises made to God and you, is crucial. Anything less would be pernicious.

A family that showers love and kindness upon the victim is priceless. Anything less would be pernicious. And friends who don’t abandon you are a godsend. Anything less would be pernicious.

But a skilled therapist who guides you through your journey back to freedom is also paramount. So I thank Lou Ann Todd, who never gave up on me, and whose insightful observations and suggestions were invaluable. And my faith in Christ, my savior, comforted me daily.

So your spouse, your loving family, your faithful friends, your therapist and the Lord are the prescription for recovery.

In the words of Winston Churchill, “Never give in — never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

MICHAEL JOZWIAK

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 21, 2014 at 5:33 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 21, 2014 at 5:19 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 21, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.
Back to top ^