Monday, September 1, 2014

Elkhart needs to enforce laws on train horns near Main Street

I feel that the city should do more to enforce these policies, which would bring a little more peace to all the taxpayers of this wonderful city.

Posted on July 8, 2014 at 5:41 p.m.

I've been a resident of Elkhart for the last 50 years, and for the last 10 years I've lived on the city's south side near the Main Street tracks. I'm writing about to the excessive blowing of the train horns each and every time a train runs along these tracks.

I've been awakened and at times haven't been able to sleep during the early morning hours because of the continuous blowing of the horns. I did some research on the matter and found out the trains are supposed to sound their horns only 15 seconds when approaching a crossing and 15 seconds after clearing the crossing. Many residents of this city will agree this policy is not being followed or enforced by the railroad or the city.

I took the liberty of contacting Indiana Rep. Tim Neese about the issue, and he has been very cooperative in addressing the issues and keeping in touch with me. He drafted a letter from the Statehouse and sent it to Norfolk Southern Railroad. They responded by noting their policy on blowing horns for 15 seconds.

I feel that the city should do more to enforce these policies, which would bring a little more peace to all the taxpayers of this wonderful city.

Please feel free to respond with a comment or suggestion. Remember, there's strength in numbers.

MICHAEL A. WILSON

Elkhart

Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.
Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.
Back to top ^