Friday, October 31, 2014

Elkhart parents need to stop blaming others when their sons turn to crime

The roads to success are paved with God, discipline, determination, education, love and support. Kids need these things to deal with the daily challenges that life presents.

Posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:16 p.m.

Every drug dealer, thief, robber, and murderer that we have read about in the newspaper was once a little boy with thoughts of having a good life. Those dreams and aspirations were somehow lost along the way and traded in for thuggery and desperation.

The roads to success are paved with God, discipline, determination, education, love and support. Kids need these things to deal with the daily challenges that life presents.

I hear a lot of young parents saying their children are No. 1 in their lives and the reason they live, but it seems to me that the actions of these people aren’t matching their words. Maybe the desire to do the right thing is there, but the knowledge and know-how to put it into action isn’t.

As I go to the elementary schools to mentor, I see a lot of African-American boys in the classrooms, walking the halls, and playing on the playground. While attending the local high school graduations, I notice the number of African-American males crossing the stage for a diploma drops tremendously in comparison to the numbers I mentioned earlier.

People criticize Mayor Dick Moore for crime. Others say County Prosecutor Curtis Hill is too harsh. And even still more people blame the police for picking on their young men — as if the cops have time to waste pretending people are committing crimes.

One thing is for certain: Just like there are roads to success, there are also pathways and alleys to the gutter, so we as parents have to stop pointing the finger and ask ourselves which course do we have our children on!

RODNEY DALE

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
Back to top ^