Monday, October 20, 2014

Goshen mayor believes there's room for common-sense gun control legislation

In my opinion, NRA leaders protect the gun industry. They do not protect safety of children in schools or police officers eating lunch in our communities.

Posted on June 23, 2014 at 4:53 p.m.

In response to Bob Schrameyer's letter in the Tuesday, June 17 Elkhart Truth (“Progressive Democrats want to take away your guns”), he is correct — I did leave the national organization Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) prior to the last Goshen City election and rejoined recently. After first joining, the NRA sent post cards to all its local members suggesting they harass me. It was a distraction I didn't need when there were so many other important issues. I rejoined recently, because, like some 500 other mayors across America, I believe there is room for "common-sense" gun control legislation.

Where Mr. Schrameyer is off-base is that MAIG does not advocate taking away all weapons and gun rights. Like 90 percent of Americans, including about 80 percent of law-abiding NRA members, MAIG believes loopholes should be closed where handgun buyers do not need to have backgrounds checked. MAIG also believes gun dealers who are selling to "straw purchasers" who then sell guns privately to people who can't purchase legally should not be protected from the public knowing who they are. When we can know which farmer's field produces tainted lettuce, why can't we know which dealers are selling many guns that end up being used to kill people?

Mr. Schrameyer's accusations are the tired words of NRA leadership, not of most of its members. In my opinion, NRA leaders protect the gun industry. They do not protect safety of children in schools or police officers eating lunch in our communities.

ALLAN KAUFFMAN

Mayor of Goshen

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 19, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 19, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 19, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.
Back to top ^