Thursday, August 21, 2014

Are we going to ban steak knives and baseball bats, too?

I served honorably for 25 years to protect the nation and the rights of all U.S. citizens. Our Cconstitution gives us the right to bear arms.

Posted on June 20, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

I left Elkhart 34 years ago to serve my country, and after 25 years of service I moved back to Elkhart. For the past nine years I have been reading the editorials from The Elkhart Truth. Royal Rock has been a regular contributor to the editorial pages.

From his postings, I believe Mr. Rock is a decent man who is concerned about his community. But I usually disagree with most of his opinions and take great offense for his recent call to control guns (“Elkhart County Democrats need to find a qualified candidate for sheriff,” June 3 People’s Forum). Mr. Rock failed to mention that three of the victims in Santa Barbara, Calif.,were actually stabbed to death before the lunatic went out and shot three more people. Do we need to restrict steak knives, baseball bats, hammers, and on and on?

I served honorably for 25 years to protect the nation and the rights of all U.S. citizens. Our Cconstitution gives us the right to bear arms. Does Mr. Rock want to take away that right?

If we ban guns in America, it still won't stop a lunatic from perpetrating a mass killing.

I will agree with Mr. Rock that Sheriff Brad Rogers made bad decision to go out and support a lawbreaker like Cliven Bundy.

ROBERT SMITH

Elkhart

Back to top ^