Thursday, July 24, 2014

Elkhart city officials are pursuing communitarianism

It doesn't matter if your taxes go up and you get virtually nothing for it. It's good for the "collective.“

Posted on June 18, 2014 at 5:19 p.m.

The following is my personal opinion and should be considered as such.

My wife and I have spent our entire lives living in Elkhart County. Forty-one years ago we were married in Elkhart County. We have raised two wonderful children in Elkhart County. Our homes, our businesses, our immediate family are all in Elkhart County. But unless we hire an attorney, spend our time and money on fliers and going door to door our business is about to become part of the city.

Indiana is one of only three states (to the best of my knowledge) that allows forcibly annexation. We are being told that the city must expand or else it will die. It's interesting that we wouldn't consider cutting our expenses before we bled to death financially. So instead we look for more tax revenue.

You would think by now that local city government would have figured out we are taxed enough already. But this isn't the case.

What is truly happening is called communitarianism — a big word that means what is good for the collective. It doesn't matter if your taxes go up and you get virtually nothing for it. It's good for the "collective.“

For the people in Zone 7, our petition has been finalized and is ready for signatures. We are looking for people who are willing to go door to door. Please contact us if you are interested.

RANDY D. WILSON

Elkhart

Posted on July 23, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.
Posted on July 23, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.
Back to top ^