Sunday, November 23, 2014

Why do service dogs cost so much?

For families who probably are having lots of expense in just living daily life and keeping on top of it all, what is all that $22,000 going for?

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

I was just wondering, as I read the article about the need for a service dog for an autistic child (“Service dog could help boy's autism, local family says,” May 29), why the horrible cost of $22,000? For families who probably are having lots of expense in just living daily life and keeping on top of it all, what is all that $22,000 going for?

Are qualified basic dogs that expensive? Are trainers charging high fees for the talents that can be such a blessing to others? Or is it the people in the background (executives, directors, etc.), as it often is in “charitable” organizations that raise money for these people?

Everything good to help people is very expensive, which is why I avoid doctors and hospitals as much as possible.If something wrong was found, I could not afford to do anything about it. But I would really like someone to explain where the $22,000 is going?

MARY E. EDMONDS

Goshen

Recommended for You

Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 4:51 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.
Back to top ^