Friday, October 31, 2014

People need guns to defend themselves against the government

Posted on June 4, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

We all saw the cute cartoon in the June 1 Elkhart Truth, beating up on the NRA. Here’s the reality:

My father and all his countrymen had their guns confiscated in the Ukraine. They were told it was a temporary measure. My parents, later, came to America. My sisters were to follow with their grandmother after my parents got settled but then the war started. After the war, my sisters were not able to leave the USSR because Stalin ruled with an iron fist; he had all the guns. Stalin murdered 30 million of his people; he had all the guns. Until the day he died, my dad never saw his daughters again nor did he get his shotgun back. He could have returned to the USSR and been shot like the communists tried to do to my grandfather. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It can’t happen here? Did we forget the Boston Massacre and Ruby Ridge?

The Constitution is only a piece of paper and is no more powerful than the people who swear to protect and defend it against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I was told of a plaque at Pearl Harbor that says: “Don’t Ever forget.” It seems that too many people have forgotten what happens when people can’t defend themselves.

PETE OSTAPCHUK

Osceola