Friday, October 31, 2014

Elkhart woman knows what it's like to have your purse stolen

Posted on May 13, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

My first reason to write this letter is for a personal thank-you that is overdue to our local Dairy Queen stores, who had a recent customer appreciation day. It was great for many who would not otherwise eat out — i.e., seniors and large families. Many were able to stock goodies in their freezers!

Secondly, my concern is about thefts. In 2000 I had my purse stolen from a grocery cart after taking my eyes off of it for a split second. Since then I cannot count how many times I have warned others to watch their purses in their carts. I have even stood and watched a person’s cart until she turned around, telling her I don't want her to have the heartache I did. The usual responses are “Thank you," I wasn't thinking" and "I'm bad about that." It only takes once!

Speaking of thefts, a break-in occurred very recently at the home of a family very near and dear to me — a whole door got ruined in the daytime. This family would give the shirts off their backs and believe in paying it forward. Many of the things they worked hard for are gone! It seems the hardest part for them is realizing others were in their home who didn't belong. So now it affects their feelings of security. It is also very sad to ask why would someone do this to them. Thankfully, no one was injured, but their home will no longer feel or look the same.

To anyone who breaks into a home, just think of how it would feel if the tables were turned it happened to someone in your own family, your best friends or your neighbors.

ALICE BROOKS

Elkhart