Friday, November 28, 2014

Elkhart woman who opposed referenda wants complete transparency

If even one dollar is spent on anything not stated in the referendums, then the people of Elkhart have been sold a bill of goods.

Posted on May 11, 2014 at 12:18 a.m.

Now that the referendums have passed, I have a few comments to make.

There should be 100 percent transparency by the Elkhart school corporation. If a taxpayer contacts the superintendent's office asking how the money is being spent, he or she should be given full access to the list of expenditures. If this doesn't happen, two questions should be asked, "Why not?" and "What are they hiding?"

Money should only be spent on what is stated in the referendums: transportation and safety.

Money should not be spent on an Olympic sized swimming pool at Memorial High School.

If even one dollar is spent on anything not stated in the referendums, then the people of Elkhart have been sold a bill of goods.

There are unemployed people and people living on fixed incomes who cannot afford the increase in taxes. If their homes go into foreclosure for unpaid taxes, who is going to help them? I have an idea. Maybe the 60 percent who voted yes can pay it for them. After all, isn't Elkhart the city with a heart, or is it the city with a heart only when convenient?

Just in case it's not obvious to everyone, my husband and I voted no on the referendums.

ANITA FREET

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Posted on Nov. 27, 2014 at 12:35 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 27, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.
Back to top ^