Monday, September 1, 2014

No one has the right to impose their religious beliefs on others

Even though I am a straight white man, I believe that many people of both genders and various sexual orientations will join me in saying, “Keep your set of beliefs out of my government and out of my private life."

Posted on May 10, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

I was relieved to find out from Chris Warren that not only did Jesus teach he was going to judge the world by his standard, but that he somehow revealed that secret standard to Chris, and people of his kind, and given them permission to make sure it placed into our Constitution, thus depriving people of their right to love free from interference ("Jesus' love is the only truth in the universe," May 4).

It’s sad how Mr. Warren has used a standard reasoning fallacy (false dichotomy) to wrap communism and the Nazi way of life into his discussion of what I said in my earlier letter ("Some who write to The Elkhart Truth find it hard to accept other religious viewpoints," March 29). I oppose both of these systems and resent being associated with them, Mr. Warren.

Apparently, my quote from Dr. Gordon Livingston hit a little too close to home too. But discussing this ad nauseam reminds me of wrestling a pig in the mud, and we don’t really want to go there.

I don’t care what you believe, Mr. Warren. No reasoning by me will shake your belief that “Jesus’ love is the only truth in the universe." What I am saying is that I, and many others, resent it when you insist on forcing your opinion into the way our state is governed. By the way, it is just an opinion — like people who have the opinion that Islam is the only correct way or the believers in the Hindu deities believe their way is the only correct way.

Even though I am a straight white man, I believe that many people of both genders and various sexual orientations will join me in saying, “Keep your set of beliefs out of my government and out of my private life."

KEN CLAYBORN

Elkhart

Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.
Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.
Back to top ^