Monday, September 1, 2014

Township resident says annexation will be a hardship

If they have to raise taxes of people living in Elkhart, do that instead of annexing and making me pay more taxes, which will be a hardship on me.

Posted on May 3, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

Elkhart's aggressive annexation plans will put a hardship on surrounding townships. I am 81 years old and have lived in Osolo Township all my life. I lived here when there was no electricity, ambulance or fire service.

Then, gradually, housing and industry began to move into our township. And now we have a fine fire department and ambulance service. We have good county police protection and excellent snow plowing services by the county.

We have a good tax rate to pay for these services. Now the city of Elkhart needs money so it decides to take our tax money away by annexation. They didn't want to annex when we were farmland. They don't care that this will mean we will have to pay more taxes when they annex our industry. I have stopped going to downtown Elkhart. I will not give my money to any of the businesses there.

I live at Heaton Lake and pay $84.48 a month for sewer services, which Elkhart gets part of. They also get part of my tax dollars for Osolo Township/Elkhart. That's enough of my money going to Elkhart.

If they have to raise taxes of people living in Elkhart, do that instead of annexing and making me pay more taxes, which will be a hardship on me.

JOANN MILLER

Elkhart

Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.
Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.
Back to top ^