Saturday, August 23, 2014

Support Concord students as they give back to community

Please support the referendum and vote “Yes” for Concord out of the generosity that our community supports and stands by our students, who will continue to give back to their community.

Posted on May 2, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

Walking back into Concord High School after spring break, I was again reminded that I teach in a special place. My desks were scrubbed and every inch of the room was spotless thanks to the wonderful custodial staff. This is a staff that has been cut frequently and expected to do more work with fewer people, yet I would not have known this entering my room.

This “can-do” attitude is the attitude that many of us have in our corporation.

We need to teach our children to help the community, and I can think of many instances that this is the case. Students at our junior high have raised money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation for years. Eastside Elementary students received the “Rookie Award” for donation to the Pennies for Patients charitable event. Hundreds of students, staff, and community members came out to support Sarah Strong in a 5K walk and run on a cold day. Many in our Concord Community could be seen walking at the fundraiser at Ox Bow Park to raise money to rebuild the tower.

My own students, knowing that funds did not exist for a leadership training experience at Camp Friedenswald this year, came together on a Saturday to sell Nelson’s chicken to fund the trip themselves. Our student councils across the corporation are a diverse and bright group, constantly brainstorming ways to serve. One of these groups led a committee to thank and support the bus drivers in our corporation with cookies, banners, and thank you notes.

This list could continue, and I hope it paints the picture of generosity and community spirit that comes from our school corporation.

Please support the referendum and vote “Yes” for Concord out of the generosity that our community supports and stands by our students, who will continue to give back to their community.

BECCA ROBERTS

Elkhart

Back to top ^