Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Let's make Elkhart schools the best in Indiana

To encourage the best teachers to stay in Elkhart or to attract the brightest and best teachers to teach in our schools, our learning environment, services, and resources need to be the best.

Posted on April 30, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.

Some 50 years ago I chose to start my teaching and administration careers in the Elkhart Community School System. It had the best rating in the state, according to research, and was a very progressive school system. This rating continued until the tax rate was frozen. Due to the commitment of administrators and teachers to the Elkhart children, Elkhart Community Schools was able to continue services/resources to the children of Elkhart.

In the last few years money has diminished and services/resources have declined. Many buildings have ceilings that have collapsed, and water has poured through the ceilings onto computers, books, carpets, etc. The children of Elkhart deserve better than this in a classroom learning environment. To encourage the best teachers to stay in Elkhart or to attract the brightest and best teachers to teach in our schools, our learning environment, services, and resources need to be the best.

Transportation is one of the services that has had to be cut drastically. Some of the children in Elkhart are not as fortunate as others in the Elkhart community, and walking a mile or two in the winter and darkness is a hardship and a safety issue. Again, the children of Elkhart deserve better.

The city of Elkhart has worked hard to attract new industry and jobs. To encourage this development, the school system must be the best it can be. A city is only as strong as its school system.

I strongly encourage each of you to vote for the two referendums on the ballot in the May 6 election. Let's make the Elkhart school system the best in the state. Our children deserve the best.

FRAN FITZGERALD

Elkhart

Posted on July 19, 2014 at 5:16 p.m.
Posted on July 19, 2014 at 4:59 p.m.
Posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:49 p.m.
Back to top ^