Friday, October 24, 2014

Les Miserables building a sense of community

The local talent is truly amazing and the extra benefit is developing a love for live musical theater in our neighborhoods, our towns and throughout our region.

Posted on April 30, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

As Shakespeare said, “All the world’s a stage”! If true, we are all participants in one great community production. And nowhere have I seen this more than within the Premier Arts organization led by Craig Gibson, artistic director, and Sue Frost Mayse, director of operations and education.

I auditioned for this weekend’s production of Les Miserables, which will be performed May 2, 3,and 4th at The Lerner. I quickly learned why 3,000 volunteers choose to be engaged in Premier Arts productions each year. Some businesses could learn a lesson from the precision, attitude, and professionalism employed throughout the process of bringing a show to life. As I auditioned, it was as if I were joining a major Broadway show! From the flow through the audition, to costume measurement, to the safety and scheduling forms and the carefully structured rehearsals, all was done with military precision. A standard is set from day one that lifts all to work together for excellence.

Joining the Premier Arts team comes with commitment – all involved volunteer at least 15 hours toward every aspect of production – costuming, set construction, cleaning, and sewing up to 700 costumes, schlepping the sets and costumes from the Premier Arts warehouse down the street to The Lerner for the week of the show and transporting it back to the warehouse post production. With on-stage casts reaching 200, the team for any show is often over 500.

But the joy in all of this is the community that is built across people of all ages and all backgrounds, working together with an eye for character development, education, civic pride and entertainment. The local talent is truly amazing and the extra benefit is developing a love for live musical theater in our neighborhoods, our towns and throughout our region.

On with the show!

BETH NORTH

Mishawaka

Recommended for You

Back to top ^