Thursday, October 23, 2014

People on fixed incomes can't pay more for Elkhart schools

I believe that when you pay off your house, you should never be at risk of losing it because you can't pay the property taxes.

Posted on April 25, 2014 at 1:52 p.m.

I would like to encourage voters to get out and vote no to the increase in property taxes. The schools should get used to doing with less, just like the rest of us. I walked two miles to school every day as a child and it didn't hurt me a bit.

I'm retired and live on a small Social Security check. I have no pension. Where do you think that I can get extra money to pay more in property taxes?

I believe that when you pay off your house, you should never be at risk of losing it because you can't pay the property taxes. In case you think that never happens, I beg to differ. A widowed acquaintance in Elkhart lost her home because of just that. Thousands of people have had that happen to them.

I believe that one of the schools has said that it had an increase of 600 students. Perhaps it should check to see how many of them are children of illegal immigrants. The last time I attended a program at my granddaughter's class at school there appeared to be about 50 percent of the students with non-English-speaking parents. The school provided a translator for the parents. I personally resent having to pay for educating people who are not here legally.

LILA LANGE

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 21, 2014 at 5:33 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 21, 2014 at 5:19 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 21, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.
Back to top ^