Monday, December 22, 2014

Cut sports, extracurricular activities in Concord schools, but don't raise taxes

Despite the slippage in academic prowess (their academic standing has slipped steadily in the 15 years I've lived here) they continue to pour money into extracurricular pursuits while cutting academic staff.

Posted on April 25, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.

And what are they going to do with the extra 40 percent the Concord schools want from me in taxes? Maybe they are going to buy up some more tax-paying properties and convert them to sports and band practice fields like they did during the height of the great recession?

Let's face facts: The Concord school administration has shown itself to being irresponsible in the use of public funds. Despite the slippage in academic prowess (their academic standing has slipped steadily in the 15 years I've lived here) they continue to pour money into extracurricular pursuits while cutting academic staff.

I can't help but recall that my high school in Pennsylvania that graduated more attendees in 1975 than Concord does currently had a marching band called the "Marching 100" and they sounded at least as good as the approximately 400 in the Minuteman assembly. Either a little moderation on the part of the program administrators or a transfer of the lion's share of the band expenses to the parents of the ersatz musicians is my suggestion for cutting costs.

Also, the number of students as well as the variety of sports accommodated should be trimmed. This may be sacrilege, but believe it or not, it is perfectly fine to occasionally tell children "no." Note to overindulgent parents: This may be a way to cut your household expenses.

Just sayin'.

JOHN LANDI

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Back to top ^