Sunday, September 21, 2014

If Concord referendum fails, property values will suffer

Property values are directly tied to the reputation and desirability of a school system, whether or not a property owner actually has children enrolled in that school system.

Posted on April 24, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.

There are some residents in Concord Township who feel that the Concord Schools referendum does not impact them because they do not have children enrolled in the school system. I would suggest that, in addition to providing a quality education for our community’s future leaders, there is a more immediate and direct impact of this referendum for anyone who is concerned with their property value.

One of the most important factors in calculating a property’s value is the school system in which that property is located. Property values are directly tied to the reputation and desirability of a school system, whether or not a property owner actually has children enrolled in that school system. Over the years, I have seen many homes advertised as “in Concord Schools.” Clearly, that has been a major selling point, as it is often the first line in the ad.

If we don’t approve this referendum by agreeing to a modest tax increase today, the quality of Concord Schools will decline, along with property values. I believe it’s in everyone’s interest to invest in Concord Schools — for our children, our community, and yes, for ourselves.

PAM HLUCHOTA

Goshen

Posted on Sept. 20, 2014 at 1:42 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 16, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.
Posted on Sept. 16, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.
Back to top ^