Monday, November 24, 2014

Goshen College is no waste of tuition, despite what Policy Mic reports

I am proud of the fact that my alma mater places more importance on the positive impact that graduates have on the world and less importance on the size of the paycheck.

Posted on April 9, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

I was disappointed to see how The Elkhart Truth chose to report on Policy Mic's listing of "Biggest Waste of Tuition" colleges (April 5). Even though the article admitted that there was a very small sample of GC graduates surveyed, I felt as though the article missed some major points. The school touted as having the highest income average among graduates is Harvey Mudd College. According to its website, Harvey Mudd College "seeks to educate engineers, scientists and mathematicians." Goshen College's website states that its core values are "global citizenship, compassionate peacemaking, servant leadership and passionate learning." The two schools clearly have very different goals.

It's not too hard to guess based on these two statements which school's grads will be earning more money. Goshen College does not have an engineering program. Harvey Mudd does not offer social work, education or nursing majors, all of which have a very strong and important tradition at Goshen College, and all of which typically make much less money than an engineer. As a Goshen College graduate, I am proud of the fact that my alma mater places more importance on the positive impact that graduates have on the world and less importance on the size of the paycheck.

KENT DUTCHERSMITH

Goshen

Recommended for You

Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 4:51 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.
Back to top ^