Monday, November 24, 2014

Former Wawasee educator supports Nisly for Indiana House

In my view, Rep. Rebecca Kubacki has the wrong approach on education. I am troubled by her support for Common Core education standards.

Posted on April 2, 2014 at 5:25 p.m.

In my view, Rep. Rebecca Kubacki has the wrong approach on education. I am troubled by her support for Common Core education standards. Education is something to be handled locally.

Kubacki is making an even bigger mistake by seeking to exclude parents from the education and policymaking process. I spent 53 years as a teacher, administrator, and school board member, mostly for the Wawasee School District. Let me tell you, we always worked to have parents at the very center of the picture in educating a child. The idea of excluding parental views does not make any sense to me.

For instance, when a student had caused trouble at school, I would speak with parents by telephone after gathering some facts. Then, after the student and I had discussed behavior and penalties, I would have the student telephone a parent right there in my office. (I had arranged this ahead of time with the parent.) The student would describe the incident and any penalty, and we would all be on the same page.

I am retired now, but continue to follow events in our community closely, especially when they involve education. As a resident of House District 22, I am supporting Curt Nisly in the Republican primary on May 6, and urge readers to do likewise.

MARION ACTON

Milford

Recommended for You

Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 4:51 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 21, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.
Back to top ^