Thursday, October 30, 2014

Kids today need to read more books, spend less time sexting

The Greatest Generation studied books and put a man on the moon. If the most prominent thing on the cover of your book is the author’s name, you’re not getting an education.

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

There are people concerned about income inequality. I’m pretty sure it’s a result of education inequality. Dropout rates of 40 and 50 percent should send up a red flag. The minimum wage should be eliminated and replaced with the minimum intelligence. Lawyers make pretty good money. Have you seen one without a high school diploma?

The Greatest Generation studied books and put a man on the moon. If the most prominent thing on the cover of your book is the author’s name, you’re not getting an education. If it instead says something like “Handbook of Chemistry And Physics," you might be on to something. Read older books. Books today are written to dazzle rather than to educate. If you dropped out of school, read a book. I’ve never seen a library with an admission charge. I got my FCC license through home study. I didn’t do that good in high school but people are not afraid to have me work on airplanes and industrial robots or design and build industrial machinery.

Kids today have all manner of smartphones and iPads to do sexting and cyberbullying. When I was in school, I designed and built my first computer with old telephone industry equipment. It was big, clunky, and it worked and helped me win an industrial awards trophy. Other guys were building motors from scratch or putting shortwave radios together. Kids today wouldn’t know a tool box if it bit them. Good luck in the workplace or around the house.

If you think making funny shapes outlined with LEDs, to adorn the fronts of cars is going to make the world a better place, devote your life to your touch screen.

I don’t store numbers in my cell phone; they’re in the computer I was born with.

PETE OSTAPCHUK

Osceola

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
Back to top ^