Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Elkhart parent needs more information before making decision on referenda

On several occasions and to various sources I have sent inquiries regarding where I can find a line item budget for the school system, and to date, I have not received this information.

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

I am the mother of four elementary schoolchildren in the Elkhart Community School Corp. I think there is nothing more important than the safety and security of my children, as well as every other child in the district. I think that the buildings and systems need to be maintained and updated, as necessary. I also would like to see bus service restored so that children won’t have to walk extended distances in extremes, be it cold, wet, heat, whatever.

I am neither for nor against the referenda on the May 6 ballot. I am in discovery mode, seeking necessary information in order to make an informed decision. Yet I am lacking the data I need. On several occasions and to various sources I have sent inquiries regarding where I can find a line item budget for the school system, and to date, I have not received this information. As a taxpayer, I believe that this tool would be valuable in allowing one to see how monies are budgeted and prioritized for expenditures. I have inquired as to a “Plan B” that would detail what the school system would pursue should the issue not pass on May 6; to date, I have not received any information. There hasn’t been any sort of prioritization indicating how and when measures that are sought would be implemented.

Most important, I see a lack of emphasis on furthering the educational experience of the students attending ECS, such as new books, additional technology or enrichment programs. I need answers in order to make a decision.

I support my children. I support the schools, teachers and other staff. I support ECS, but, without answers to these basic questions and without the requested information, I cannot support the referenda May 6.

CHRISTINE LARGENT

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Back to top ^