Thursday, November 27, 2014

Hoping for a seven on the happiness scale

Depression often sets in as we struggle, and we can easily set ourselves up to not move on.

Posted on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

This has been an unusual winter with rough winds, etc. Most of us have had times in our lives when it's been rough and windy — when you felt like you are on the verge of falling, and have fallen. We manage to pick ourselves up, sometimes with the help of others, from the turmoil that has upset us.

Perhaps this takes us a step in a new direction. They say, "When one door closes, another opens up." We still have episodes of wind and rough weather, but we have the choice of going on, taking baby steps, coming through and looking for the rainbow.

Depression often sets in as we struggle, and we can easily set ourselves up to not move on. In my story of winds and rough weather, many special family and friends have lifted my spirit, body and mind.

A person doesn't know what goes on in the heart of another, but sometimes we can feel "the whispers of the body." Recently, while attending a workshop for nursing credits on "Habits of Happy People," I learned that Sonja Lyubomirsky has a happiness scale of one to seven (one not being happy, seven being a very happy person). Perhaps this scale should be used as a medical assessment tool like the 1 through 10 pain scale. Maybe we can learn if a person is facing rough winds in life, possibly attributing to their health problems.

As spring approaches, with all the winter winds we've had, I hope your rough winds settle, and you too can see a vision of the rainbow, and score a seven on the happiness scale.

JUANITA OLDFIELD

White Pigeon, Mich.

Recommended for You

Posted on Nov. 25, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.
Posted on Nov. 25, 2014 at 5:21 p.m.
Back to top ^