Thursday, July 24, 2014

City won't help thaw company's frozen water line

Numerous calls to Elkhart Public Utilities Department have ended with the same answer — that there is nothing the city will do to thaw frozen water lines.

Posted on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:14 p.m.

I’m writing this in part to see if anyone else has had better luck than us and in part to express our frustration and disappointment with the city of Elkhart.

Our business, Hoosier Crane, is located just south of the Elkhart city limits on Charlotte Avenue. A little over two weeks ago, our city water supply froze somewhere between the street and our building. Numerous calls to Elkhart Public Utilities Department have ended with the same answer — that there is nothing the city will do to thaw frozen water lines.

I have seen throughout the news that all other local cities are going out and thawing frozen city water lines, but not Elkhart. We have had a local plumbing company try unsuccessfully to thaw our frozen line and are on numerous other waiting lists.

Our water meter is located inside our building, thus I incorrectly assumed that the city would be responsible for maintaining our water service up to the meter. That assumption is wrong, as they will not do anything when your water service freezes before your meter.

I understand that we have had an extremely cold winter and things happen, I just don’t understand why Elkhart is the only local city to do nothing when things do happen in regards to assisting customers.

JOE COOK

Elkhart

Posted on July 23, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.
Posted on July 23, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.
Back to top ^