Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Catholic priests do not deserve scorn

That devil is surely having a heyday with tempting those with weaknesses, such as the fellow responsible for the killings at the Martin's Supermarket.

Posted on Feb. 18, 2014 at 4:28 p.m.

The attack on the Catholic Church by the media is getting old, and I'm tired of seeing the church that I grew up in and love being persecuted along with our many holy and wonderful priests who are innocent and are enduring scorn, gossip, and rejection rather than the love and prayers they need.

Yes, there have been priests accused of molesting children, but the percentage of priests guilty of this is about 1 percent out of the many of thousands of priests in our country and in the world.

This is 1 percent more than it should be, but priests are human beings just like each one of us. They suffer more temptations from the devil than even we do.

You see, we have both good (God) and evil (the devil). There is no in-between. That devil is surely having a heyday with tempting those with weaknesses, such as the fellow responsible for the killings at the Martin's Supermarket. That young man probably never intended for this to happen until the devil played on his weaknesses. My prayers go out to his family for comfort, strength and peace.

The devil is tempting many of our young people into thinking that living together and sex before marriage is OK. He is tempting many to think abortion is OK when 56 million babies have already lost their lives in what is to be the safest place for them — their mother's womb. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how Satan is trying to ruin family life with the busyness of life, running here and there and having no time to share meals and conversation together. How can problems be solved in a family when there is no time to sit down and work through them?

Carol Pawlak

Elkhart

Back to top ^