Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Snow-covered sidewalks a danger for students, drivers

I believe there should be more reprimands for failing to clean snow off the sidewalks, as they prove a hazard for drivers and pedestrians.

Posted on Feb. 17, 2014 at 4:39 p.m.

I am writing because Elkhart Mayor Dick Moore has acknowledged suspending citations due to the vast amount of snow and difficulties clearing it. I believe there should be more reprimands for failing to clean snow off the sidewalks, as they prove a hazard for drivers and pedestrians.

I live in the Elkhart school district, and I see students walking to Pierre Moran as they pass by my home. My family and neighbors have done their best to clean the snow off the driveways and sidewalks in order to offer the students a clear path. As it is, the street has snow piled up several feet on the sidewalks, with only the driveways cleared, and students stumble through the piles or walk on the road. I believe this presents a hazard to students, and the fact there is no retribution or fine for submitting pedestrians to potential risk of injury is unsettling.

I am also concerned about this issue because in cases where the snow piles may break, chunks may fall into the road and force drivers to serve to avoid them, risking a collision with another car. And yet there is still no demand for the snow to cleared off the sidewalks.

Mayor Moore himself has stated that "there will come a time when those that have not removed the snow are simply not going to and enforcement will be the action taken." If he believes disregard for clearing the snow is imminent, why are citations being postponed? I hope for the citation suspension ends soon, for the safety of Elkhart citizens.

STEPHANIE ESCAMILLA

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Back to top ^