Elkhart Truth Logo
Thursday, April 17, 2014

Oppose ban on same-sex marriage

Although some might think it morally wrong, everyone deserves the right to choose whom we can marry.

Posted on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

I am writing to express my concerns about banning same-sex marriage. I would like to say that I respect person’s morals and beliefs, but would like to instead discuss the political stance on the subject.

I consider myself to be conservative and support traditional marriage. I do not, however, believe it to be right to force my beliefs on others; there is a fine line between supporting and proposing my beliefs and imposing them. Although it is true most laws are based on the moral beliefs of that society, the United States is not a theocracy. The United States government does not have the right to force a certain religion’s morals on the rest of society. The government should allow its citizens the unalienable right of the pursuit of happiness and protect our freedom to choose our own religion.

There comes a time where a group of people will rally for the rights they think they deserve. This is how the United States was created, how slavery was abolished and how woman gained their suffrage. In my lifetime same-sex marriage may be added to that list. Although some might think it morally wrong, everyone deserves the right to choose whom we can marry. With the number of states passing laws to allow same-sex marriage growing, it is only a matter of time before Indiana joins them.

This is why I oppose HJR-3, the proposed constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in Indiana. I believe that a person can keep their personal morals without condemning someone else’s or forcing theirs upon another.

Ryan Shank

Elkhart

Back to top ^