Elkhart Truth Logo
Thursday, April 24, 2014

People's Forum: Indiana should not legislate against people based on biology

I've heard various concerns recently about HJR-3, which could constitutionally ban same-sex marriage in Indiana. At the core of the bill appears to be objection to the "gay" lifestyle.

Dr. Robert D. Lerch
Posted on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:15 p.m.

I've heard various concerns recently about HJR-3, which could constitutionally ban same-sex marriage in Indiana. At the core of the bill appears to be objection to the "gay" lifestyle.

In academia and industry, I've learned the importance of examining the research before coming to conclusions.

In 2009, I attended a presentation in Grand Teton National Park by Dr. Donal Skinner, a University of Wyoming associate professor of zoology and physiology, on the fluidity of gender. He said that in months two and three of fetal development, a naturally occurring combination of hormones determines whether a fetus will become male or remain female.

In 2011, an article in a peer-reviewed journal, Frontiers in Endocrinology (the study of the secretion of hormones), indicated that sexual orientation in the womb is a continuum, with females on one end and males on the other. During fetal development, the presence, absence and/or strength of certain hormones can place a fetus at any point on the gender continuum.

In other words, "gayness," or homosexuality, is biological.

We don't legislate against individuals because of their eye color or the size of their feet. Neither should we legislate against individuals whose sexual orientation is biologically determined.

Dr. Robert D. Lerch

Goshen

Back to top ^