Elkhart Truth Logo
Thursday, April 24, 2014

People's Forum: Loneliness sets in during the holidays

The holidays quickly came and went, the excitement of Christmas with all its splendor and the anticipation of a New Year.

Juanita Oldfield
Posted on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:29 p.m.

The holidays quickly came and went, the excitement of Christmas with all its splendor and the anticipation of a New Year. (The loneliness sets in at unexpected times.) The traditional Christmas songs with deep meaning have an effect on the soul, especially when memories of the past come into play.

New Year’s Eve, perhaps some of you stayed up long enough to see the ball drop at Times Square at midnight, which I make a point of doing. It is nice to have a loved one’s embrace along with a New Years kiss to welcome the New Year, and perhaps some shrimp cocktail along with a drink of cheer as you make a toast for the New Year ahead.

The loneliness sets in.

Winter is a beautiful season. The snowflakes are like fingerprints, all different in their own way. Brilliantly colored birds peck at the window, asking to be fed. All this and more that puts a song in our heart.

No matter how you spent the holiday season, I hope 2014 will be happy, healthy and prosperous for you and yours. I hope you have no reason to have loneliness set in, but I’m sure many do.

Juanita Oldfield

Mottville, Mich.

Posted on April 23, 2014 at 4:40 p.m.
 A group called Vote No in Concord hopes to encourage people not to vote for Concord schools' referendum in May.
Posted on April 23, 2014 at 4:21 p.m.
Posted on April 23, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.
Back to top ^