Monday, September 1, 2014

People's Forum: LEDs no improvement

I’m supposed to replace my 35-cent light bulbs with $20 LED replacements. The sales tax on the LEDs alone is four times what the incandescent bulbs cost.

Posted on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:50 p.m.

I’m supposed to replace my 35-cent light bulbs with $20 LED replacements. The sales tax on the LEDs alone is four times what the incandescent bulbs cost. The LEDs are claimed to last 22 and a half years, but my first one died after three months. I took it back and got it replaced, after getting the third degree from the clerk. The replacement lasted 18 months in the laundry room. I took it back and they told me to take it to the manufacturer, which I plan to do on my next trip to China. How much energy is consumed driving back and forth to the store? All the incandescent bulbs in my workshop are still working after 22 years.

You can buy discrete LEDs and put your own lighting together. Mine run off my batteries, which are charged by solar panels, so they function as emergency lighting also. Without the conversion circuitry to convert the high voltage AC to low voltage DC, the likelihood of failure is greatly reduced.

Nobody had to pass a law to force people to switch from muzzle-loaders to cartridge rifles.

Pete Ostapchuk

Osceola

Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.
Posted on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.
Back to top ^