Sunday, December 21, 2014

Dylan Hutson of Indianapolis holds a sign voicing his opposition to a measure amending the state’s constitution to ban gay marriage, as he listens to debate during a hearing of the House Judiciary Committee at the Statehouse in Indianapolis, Monday, Jan. 13, 2014. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy) (AP)
People’s forum: Marriage is a right, not a privilege for just some of the citizens of America.

Posted on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:54 p.m.

This great nation was founded in order to uphold the “unalienable Rights” of “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” How, then, is it even conceivable to not allow someone to marry their love, whether male or female? “We the people” of Indiana must push to legalize same-sex marriage.

Some object to same-sex marriage on the grounds of upholding traditional marriage, but what is traditional marriage? Look at the history of marriage and you will see that marriage has evolved and changed continually. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a period of 100 years where there was not even a minor change in marriage. Frankly, there is no such thing as “traditional marriage.” It is solely a term used by those who find the views of others disagreeable and seek to justify social inequality, bigotry, prejudice and hostility.

The First Amendment separates government from religion. It does not matter what my neighbor’s faith is, nor what my faith is; the only thing that matters is what is right. One’s religion may prevent them from a certain act but that same religion does not prevent a single other person from that same act. If a single religion decided the acts of all humans, referring to ourselves as “the land of the free” would be nothing but a cynical lie.

Whether it is women’s suffrage, the abolishment of slavery, or the Civil Rights Movement, we, as a people, have moved forward and established equal rights for many. The issue of same-sex marriage is no different. The ability to marry is a right, not a privilege for just some of the citizens of America.

You may disagree but, I did not realize that it is the right of any person to deny my friends and family theirs.

Elliott Keller
Goshen