Monday, September 15, 2014

Customers walk toward the front doors of Martin’s Super Market on Bristol Street, which reopened at noon on Friday, Jan. 17, 2014. The store was the scene of a shooting Wednesday, which turned fatal for two women and the suspect. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard) (AP)
People’s Forum: Elkhart police showed bravery at Martin’s Super Market

Posted on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:00 a.m.

I want to commend the Elkhart Police for acting with such bravery. When innocent lives were threatened, they raced into danger without hesitation. I don’t doubt that their decisive action saved several lives at the Martin’s Super Market on Wednesday night, Jan. 15.

I have heard too many stories, going as far back as Columbine, in which a shooting turned into a massacre because the people best equipped to intervene were either too slow or too eager to turn a tragedy into a spectacle. The Elkhart police and the alert staff at the Martin’s responded immediately and directly. Every police force in the country should take a page from the Elkhart PD’s playbook today.

The candlelight vigil and the fact that Martin’s Super Markets is already offering counseling to the affected employees are a testament to this town’s giant heart and giving soul. Let’s keep the friends and families of Krystle Dikes and Rachelle Godfread in our prayers.

Benjamin Thompson

Elkhart