Friday, August 1, 2014

The gender pay gap: "Certainly it’s a big problem"

Correspondent Mark Shehpard visited Goshen this week and asked, "In your view, and in the view of those people you converse with, how big of a problem is the gender pay gap?"

Posted on April 11, 2014 at 2:13 p.m.

Correspondent Mark Shehpard visited Goshen this week and asked, "In your view, and in the view of those people you converse with, how big of a problem is the gender pay gap?"

Maggie Schnaars, yarn shop partner, Goshen:

"Not that I have noticed, because I worked in engineering, and I did not notice in the hiring at the companies that I have worked for that the gender pay gap was very noticeable. I can’t even say that it existed because they hired ability and schooling. I never saw much discrimination in that."

Rafael Barahona, graphic designer, Goshen:

"Certainly it’s a big problem. I’m absolutely 100 percent for equality whether it’s gender-based or race-based. As a minority that’s important to me, as well. I have a wife and I have a daughter and certainly I want them to live in a world that treats them in a fair manner. I absolutely think it’s an important issue."

Marty Burt, retired controller, Goshen:

"I worked in the day when we didn’t know there couldn’t be such a thing. Women were just paid what the going rate was. But in today’s world I can understand because it is probably very irritating particularly for women in higher jobs. I don’t know so much about the lower jobs. And I do know that most of the factories pay the women — they have to — in the same classes of jobs as the men. So I would think it’s women in higher level jobs that see this as the biggest problem."

Angel Sanchez, cabinet maker, Goshen:

"I’m thinking not as much as it would be in past years, like in the 1900’s. But now that I see that there is more media out there, people are leaning more to being kind of equal because anything that they do wrong will automatically go on the internet and get over-exaggerated (as to) how wrong it is." Follow-up question: Do you see any problems in the Latino community as far as pay issues? "Me personally, I don’t really see any. I work at MasterBrand Cabinets, and it seems like everyone gets paid equally. It seems like everything is fair for both men and women.

Tami Cook, hostess, South Bend:

"I don’t think it’s right at all. I think that if a woman can do the job just as well as a man, then why shouldn’t she get paid the same as a man?" Follow-up question: How do you see women now days compared to older days having to step up and be more responsible for many things in family life? "There are a lot more single moms out there that have to take charge of the household, and pay the bills and take care of children. And a lot of them do it without child support. So I think it’s really important that they make the same for the same job that a man would."

Back to top ^