Monday, October 20, 2014

Street Talk: What will determine if Obamacare succeeds or fails?

What do you think the determining factors will be with regards to Obamacare (The Affordable Care Act) and whether it succeeds or fails?

Posted on March 28, 2014 at 2:16 p.m.

Correspondent Mark Shephard visited Nappanee this week and asked, "What do you think the determining factors will be with regards to Obamacare (The Affordable Care Act) and whether it succeeds or fails?"

Tom Owens, certified water technician, West Monroe, Louis:

"The money and the economics — he’s trying to take money from the rich for the poor, but it’s not going to work that way, because the rich know how to get around it."

Tim Luetkebuenger, collection agency owner, DeKalb, Ill.:

"If everyone gets behind it. Obviously, it seems like it’s half one direction and half the other. The Republicans are built on seeing it fail, and the Democrats are on the course of trying to make it happen. It doesn’t seem like they’re both going to be able to go for the same cause." Follow-up question: And what would you like to see? "I think everyone needs health care. I don’t know if it necessarily needs to go along the lines of forcing it on people. The cost of health care goes all the way back to how much they charge at the hospital level and goes forward. But everyone needs it, and it’s better than nothing."

John Anderson, semi-retired, New Paris:

"The Obamacare bill was destined to fail to begin with, because it is not conclusive, it’s socialized medicine, and it is not an improvement over our previous free market health care system." Follow-up question: How do you feel about everybody having health care, and our country trying to figure that out? "In a perfect world it would be great if we all had health care. It would be wonderful if everyone had good comprehensive health care that we had access to that would be truly affordable. Unfortunately in my own experience several years ago with Medicare and a supplement, it still left many unpaid bills and left costs leftover from that, which can be devastating financially. And the perfect solution would be that everyone has good quality health care available to them, and in a worst case scenario, it wouldn’t be devastating financially to them."

Kristen Richard, barista, Nappanee:

"I’m a little bit confused on what Obamacare really is, because I’ve heard so many stories back and forth. It used to be really plain and clear, and now they’re saying it’s not what he promised at first, so I’ve heard a lot of unsuccessful things about it. But I guess the determining factor would be how many people sign up for it."

Recommended for You

Back to top ^