Saturday, July 26, 2014

Street Talk; What 2014 news story concerns you most?

Posted on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:23 p.m.

Correspondent Mark Shephard visited Bristol this week and asked, “What news story have your heard or read about since the beginning of 2014 causes you concern as we move forward?

John Brainard, tire technician, Howe:

”The Obamacare — I just need more information on it. I’ve just been reading about in the paper here and there. I don’t get home in time to watch the evening news.” Follow-up question: What would you like to see happen with Obamacare? “Just explain more about it.”

Carlos Herrera, truck driver, Laredo, Texas:

“I know it’s going to help the people to have medical insurance, and provide all the medical services that people need. It might hurt the economy like a lot of people say. But the ones talking against Obamacare are politicians, so they are always saying something against Obama. From the time he started his presidency, that is all the Republicans have been doing - being against Obama’s decisions. So no matter how good Obamacare is, the Republicans are going to say that it is going to affect the economy.”

John Buys, maintenance, Union, Mich.:

“I’d just like to see the economy get a little better. There are a still a lot of people out of work.” Follow-up question: So what about this extension of unemployment benefits for 1.3 million Americans that has passed the Senate — how do you think we (as a country) should handle the unemployment benefits for people that need them? “Well, it’s hard to say. If you need them, you need them, but there are jobs out there. You just got to get out and look for them. I found a job when the recession was in its worst spot.”

Brooke Replogle, sandwich artist, Bristol:

“Marijuana being legalized in Colorado. I’m not for it or against it, but I used to live there.” Follow-up question: Would you be for legalizing it here in Indiana? “Yeah. I don’t smoke it, but people do. Whatever people want to waste their money on — just like cigarettes.”

Perry Nelson, machine operator, Bristol:

“The Iraqi war — they (Al Qaeda) are taking over Fallujah. I’d hate to see our troops go back over there for a winless thing.” Follow-up question: If the Middle East breaks down into a war, which would basically be a war between the two branches of Islam — the Sunnis and the Shiiites — with Iran backing the Shias and Saudi Arabia backing the Sunnis, what would be our best course of action? “Stay out of it! It’s a lose-lose situation. They have to fight it between themselves. Just stay away from them. We can support Saudi Arabia, but as far as the U.S. going over again, it’s over with. Those people are nuts!”

Back to top ^