Friday, November 28, 2014

Ben Fox, graduate student, New Paris (Mark Shephard/Truth correspondent)

Jack Filley, shipping supervisor, Wakarusa (Mark Shephard/Truth correspondent)

Chris Scheibe, high school Spanish teacher, Mount Vernon, Wash. (Mark Shephard/Truth correspondent)

Barb Hahn, part time elementary teacher, Nappanee (Mark Shephard/Truth correspondent)

Kathy Milton, disabled, Nappanee (Mark Shephard/Truth correspondent)
Street Talk; What would you like to see your elected officials do in 2014?

Posted on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

Correspondent Mark Shephard visited Nappanee this week and asked, “What would you like to see your elected officials resolve to do ‘by the people, for the people’ in 2014?”

Jack Filley, shipping supervisor, Wakarusa:

“The biggest thing I think they could do would be to take their hands off the state, and let the state run more things, let the state make more decisions, because this whole system was built by our founding fathers to be ‘by the people, for the people.’ Unfortunately deep pockets and special interest groups have kind of taken over that. My opinion — I tend to be a little more old-fashioned — is let the people who helped build this system ... decide more than what a government says what’s best for us.”

Barb Hahn, part-time elementary teacher, Nappanee:

“The main issue on my mind right now is health care, probably. Resolve that so we aren’t paying what we are for health care. We’re independent business owners in town, and so we pay the high prices for that with the family. That’s my main concern right now. It’s a really big chunk out of the salary each month to pay for health care. And right now we don’t have vision or dental insurance. It affects how much my kids go in, and how much they get out of the eye care and dental care too.”

Ben Fox, graduate student, New Paris:

“Health care is a mess. I don’t really know what they could do to fix what’s going on right now. That would be a start.” Follow-up question: Do you think we should give Obamacare a chance to work, and if it doesn’t work, then we can repeal it? “Well, I think either way we’re going to be giving it a chance in some capacity. People see problems, and there’s problems right now that people may not be thinking about. But we’ll see what comes to it. People will see the good sides and bad sides of it, but they’ll pay attention to the bad sides.”

Chris Scheibe, high school Spanish teacher, Mount Vernon, Wash.:

“Compromise. Whether it’s health care, or military spending, or subsidies or help for the poor, they need to govern. They need to come up with policies that reflect compromise, that reflect a wide variety of opinions.” Follow-up question: Do you think there is more hope for that at the local and state levels? “That kind of compromise is definitely easier at the local level where people are more connected with their constituents and whatnot. And you have less interests groups. They don’t wield that kind of power that the lobbyists do at the national level. To get that kind of compromise I think what’s crucial is some kind of campaign finance reform. They have to take the money out of politics, otherwise I don’t see it changing soon.”

Kathy Milton, disabled, Nappanee:

“I’m not much into politics, but I want to see Obamacare and all this resolved. I don’t really necessarily agree with Obamacare. I think everybody should have their own choice. I understand where they’re coming from because medical costs are so high, and a lot of it has to do with people that don’t have insurance. But I feel it’s the people’s rights to choose. I know Obama says you get to choose your health provider, but I hear all kinds of things on the news, and it’s kind of a big jumble to me. I mean, I see where they’re coming from, but at the same time I don’t really agree with it.”