Saturday, August 23, 2014

Jennifer Shephard
Jennifer Shephard
Jennifer Shephard fell in love with photography in high school. While that was quite awhile ago, she still loves capturing a great moment with her camera.

Elkhart Truth on Instagram
Follow @elkharttruth for more photos.

Photojournalists work to juggle iPhones and DSLRs

Photojournalists now face a serious question when on assignment. When do I use my DSLR and when do I use my iPhone? 

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 5:43 p.m.

Decisions, decisions. As I worked the Westview semistate basketball game Saturday I was trying to accomplish a lot. First, I was trying to get good action and fan reaction photos for the paper, but before we go to press I need to feed the social media accounts. So photographers are left trying to decide when to use the "big boy" camera and when to grab for the iPhone.

It becomes a tricky juggling act, but you have to realize that each piece of gear has its limitations. The DSLR gets the job done, but has a lag time when it comes to sharing. The iPhone allows us to share an image immediately, but can't stop the action of a screaming student section. 

As I edited my DSLR images I realized that I had shot very few images of the net cutting, but had used my iPhone instead. This worked as the players were fairly stationary and it allowed me share to eTruth_Photo and ElkhartTruth on Instagram

So just like a carpenter needs to know which tool to grab out of the toolbox, so does a photographer. 

Back to top ^